Science and economics both play important roles in environmental policy
Questar respects and protects the environment. We believe our reputation as an environmentally responsible operator is a source of competitive advantage. We understand that a company doesn't get a reputation for environmental citizenship just by claiming one. It's a judgment made by others. That's why we nurture a culture in which good environmental stewardship is ingrained in our day-to-day decisions and operations. At Questar we:
- Ensure that we meet or exceed the requirements of environmental laws and regulations and other standards that we have voluntarily adopted.
- Ensure that all our employees recognize their responsibilities for complying with environmental rules.
- Encourage our employees to continue to improve their environmental performance by providing the training and the human, physical and financial resources to achieve our environmental goals.
- Prevent pollution and respond to incidents quickly and effectively.
- Work with public and private agencies to develop new laws and rules that are protective of the environment.
- Utilize management review and performance monitoring to ensure our environmental management systems are effective.
Climate change is one of the most debated environmental issues of our time. The discussion centers on three questions:
- To what extent is fossil-fuel use affecting the climate?
- What are the long-term consequences of higher carbon-dioxide levels in the atmosphere?
- What should be done about it?
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has passed regulations requiring tracking of carbon-dioxide (CO2) emissions and permitting of CO2 emissions from the largest facilities. Prior to EPA's carbon regulations, we voluntarily measured and disclosed our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and carbon footprint through the Carbon Disclosure Project. We identify and manage risks related to carbon regulation. Questar's management reviews its climate-change risks and strategies with Questar's Board of Directors.
Our corporate mission is to improve lives by developing and delivering essential energy. We believe greater use of natural gas must be part of America's carbon solution. CO2 emissions can be cut substantially by using natural gas instead of coal to produce electricity. We can cut CO2 emissions by about 30% by running our cars on natural gas instead of gasoline. We can cut CO2 emissions by as much as 90% by heating our homes with natural gas instead of other fossil fuels.
Questar diligently seeks to cut energy waste and improve energy efficiency in all company operations. We've implemented one of the most effective energy-conservation programs in the country. Questar is working to be part of the climate-change solution.